Which are the most popular health monitors? One of the best guides comes from Amazon, which presents regularly updated lists of its top selling products. Here are the leading items from the company’s Best Sellers in Health Monitors & Monitor Accessories web page:
1. Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer With Exactemp Technology - amazingly, it is a thermometer, used particularly in children’ health, that appears in the top position. I wrote about it:
The Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer is a hugely popular device, moderately priced, that does all that it claims.
It is safe and child-friendly, with a soft, flexible tip that is especially comfortable for babies. There is no glass that can break, and no mercury. It measures the temperature in just one second, with a large LCD display. A memory recall function shows the previous temperature, for comparison purposes.
A particular feature is the company’s ExacTemp technology, a pre-warmed tip which heats up when the thermometer is turned on, helping more accurately measure the infrared heat generated by the eardrum and surrounding tissue.
2. Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband - more than 1,560 customer reviews attest to the immense popularity of the Fitbit, which tracks steps, distance, and calories burned and shows you how you’re stacking up against your daily goals. At night, it tracks your sleep cycle, helps you learn how to sleep better, and wakes you silently in the morning. I described it as:
a phenomenon, with a growing universe of products and numerous highly laudatory reviews.
3. BalanceFrom High Accuracy Digital Bathroom Scale with 4.3″ Extra Large Cool Blue Backlight Display and “Smart Step-On” Technology - another phenomenon, with a huge number of glowing Amazon customer reviews. Here is what I said:
In the very competitive world of bathroom scales, where there is a not a lot of difference between the many different models, BalanceFrom has broken through and is now one of the top-selling brands, right up there with market leader EatSmart.
Its High-Accuracy Digital Bathroom Scale would seem to tick all the boxes for both function and sleek design. In fact, it is very similar to the EatSmart, able to measure up to 400 pounds in 0.2-pound increments. It turns itself on as soon as you step onto the platform and runs on four AAA batteries.
4. Omron 7 Series Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor - despite a growing number of rivals, this Omron model remains by far the most popular home blood pressure monitor. I wrote:
Omron is overwhelmingly the most popular choice for home-use blood pressure monitors, and the 7 Series (also designated as the BP652), is its top selling model. It is an upgraded version of the also-popular HEM-650.
It is a wrist-mounted monitor – with a cuff version also available – slim and portable and can be used just about anywhere. Flashing indicator lights help you position it correctly, and it can detect and alert you to irregular heartbeats while your blood pressure is being measured. A blood pressure level indicator shows how your reading compares to recognized guidelines.
Wrist blood pressure monitors are generally seen as less accurate than upper arm models. Nevertheless, users and some independent testing have found the 7 Series to give a high degree of accuracy, though it is necessary to learn the correct positioning of the device.
5. EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Lighted Display, 400 lb. Capacity and “Step-On” Technology - more than 10,800 customer reviews for a set of bathroom scales. Amazing! In my report I said:
The EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale is a phenomenon. Who knew that such a simple product could be so popular?
It is nothing fancy at all – just a basic device that gives your weight quickly and accurately, in 0.2-pound increments. It can hold up to 400 pounds. A 3.5-inch backlit display is easy to read.
After some user complaints, the company has updated it, and it is no longer necessary to tap the scale to get a reading. Instead, it turns on immediately you step onto the platform. It is sleek and attractive, with a glass and chrome finish. Buyers say it is durable and lasts for years.